Patient Information Leaflet
Application for Detailed Coded Medical Record Access
The Lawns Medical Practice is pleased to increase the online services offered to include your Detailed Coded Medical Record.
Online Services Available:
- Booking and cancelling appointments with a GP
- Requesting repeat prescriptions
- Viewing your summary care record
- Access to your detailed coded medical record
To access any of the online services you will need to visit the surgery in person with photographic identification, such as a passport, driving licence, student card, and also something stating your current address, such as a utility bill or bank statement which will be less than 3 months old. You will then need to complete an ‘Application for Online Access to My Medical Record’ form which is also available on the practice website.
You will then be supplied with a login and password.
If you already have online access with a login and password you may request your detailed coded medical record online. We would strongly recommend that you read the information and advice regarding access to your detailed coded medical record, which will be available at the surgery and also on the website. You will then need to complete an ‘Application for Online Access to My Medical Record’ form which is also available on the practice website.
We are expecting a large demand in requests for this service and therefore we will endeavour to provide you with access to your detail coded medical record within 28 days of request. Your request will go through a process which will include authorisation from a GP.
Your medical record will include entries that have been added using specific clinical coding used in Primary Care. For example, if you have attended with a chest infection, the GP would have selected the code that would reflect this condition. They will also have made a note in your record in free text to elaborate on the consultation you had. This free text will not be seen in your detailed coded medical record as the system is only able to search for coded entries. You will also be able to see other coded entries in your medical record, for example if you have been sent a letter inviting you for a review or health check, this will be coded into your medical record.
Access will include:
- Long Term Conditions, i.e. Asthma, Diabetes, etc
- Some hospital procedures or operations
All of these things will only be able to be seen provided that they were coded into your record and this will be since GP practices were computerised. Handwritten notes will not be visible.
You will be able to print out your detail coded medical record at home.
Important Things to Remember
- It will be your responsibility to keep your login details and password safe and secure. If you know or suspect that your record has been access by someone that you have not agreed should see it, then you should change your password immediately. Your login and password are your responsibility
- If you have printed out a copy of your detailed coded medical record you should ensure that it is kept secure. Any printed information is your responsibility
- The information in your detailed coded medical record may be misleading if you rely on it alone to complete insurance, employment or legal reports or forms
- Be careful that nobody can see your records on screen when you are using Patient Online and be especially careful if you use a public computer to shut down the browser and switch off the computer after you have finished
If you have any concerns or questions we will be happy to help you.