Lawns Medical Practice
The Health Centre
Statement of Purpose
Health & Social Care Act 2008
Effective Date: 01.04.13
Last Reviewed: 01.08.14
Next Review: April 15
The Lawns Medical Practice
Statement of Purpose
The name and address of the registered provider is Dr Nigel Thomson, Senior Partner, The Lawns Medical Practice, the Health Centre, Mont Street, Diss, Norfolk IP22 4WG.
Name: Lawns Medical Practice
The Health Centre
Telephone Number: 01379 642021
Fax Number: 01379 641673
Website Address: lawnsgp.com
Practice Code: D82022
CQC Provider ID: 1 - 199715760
CQC Registered Manager: Dr Nigel Thomson
Practice Manager: Ann Steele
Practice Status: Partnership
Partners: Dr Nigel Thomson
Dr Andreas Pantazis
Dr Nyi Nyi Pe
The Lawns Medical Practice is a three GP partnership with plans for an increase to four GP partners within the next 48 months. The practice has three Practice Nurses and two Health Care Assistant/Phlebotomist.
The practice is located within the Health Centre which it shares with Parish Fields Practice and various community teams. The Health Centre is located in the centre of Diss and is serviced by a pay and display council run car park, with the first hour free of charge.
Aims and Objectives
- To provide safe, appropriate, high quality healthcare to our patients
- To involve patients in the decision making regarding their care and treatment
- To provide advice, screening and support with their healthcare
- To promote well-being and disease prevention
- To ensure that our surgery building will be welcoming, easy for patients to find their way around and appropriate to the needs of users, including the disabled
- To ensure that all clinical areas are cleaned in accordance with Infection Control Standards
- To ensure that all Clinicians are qualified and insured accordingly
- To ensure that all Clinicians are affiliated to the appropriate bodies
- To ensure that patients and staff are treated without prejudice
- To operate on a financially sound basis in accordance with legislative requirements
The practice offers 5 regulated activities which are all managed by our Registered Manager, Ann Steele:
- Treatment of disease, disorder or injury
- Surgical procedures
- Diagnostic and screen procedures
- Maternity and midwifery services
- Family planning service
We provide GP consultation and GP treatment services. We have a fully trained nursing team with three Practice Nurses and two Health Care Assistants.
We operate an open list so patients may register with the practice either as a fully registered patient or as a temporary resident, who is temporarily in the practice area.
The practice is in the middle of Diss and services a wide area including some patients who live in Suffolk. The practice area includes Palgrave, Roydon, Fersfield, Bressingham, Shelfanger, Winfarthing, Gissing, Burston, Scole and Stuston.
The practice is adjacent to a public car part which provides free parking for the first hour and has several disabled parking spaces. The practice is within walking distance of the town centre.
The practice is authorised to dispense medications for those patients who live more than a mile from a pharmacy and this amounts to approximately one third of its registered patients. There are three pharmacies in the town centre.
The Health Centre was purpose built in the 1970’s and accommodates two independent surgeries and a number of community services, including District Nurses, Health Visitors, Physiotherapists, and Podiatrist. All patient services are on the ground floor and are easily accessible. The Health Centre has automatic doors and a disabled toilet. There is a portable hearing loop available.
The practice offers medical services defined in General Medical Services Contract. These services include Essential Services, Additional Services and Enhanced Services:
The practice offers:
- Appointments that can be booked in advance and on the day
- Telephone consultations with GPs
- Management of Diabetes, Heart Disease, Stroke and Hypertension in Long Term Condition Clinics
- Management of Asthma and COPD
- Minor Surgery
- Repeat Prescriptions
- Maternity services
- Childhood Vaccinations and Immunisations
- Cervical screening services
- Minor Surgery
- Minor Injury service
- Referral to other specialist services both community and acute
- Spirometry, ECG, Ambulatory BP
- Learning Disability Health Checks
- NHS Health Checks
- Travel advice and vaccination
- Home visits for housebound patients
- Palliative care
- IUCD fitting and checking
We offer some non-NHS services which are paid for by the patients:
Private medical insurance reports and medicals
- HGV medicals
- Private travel vaccinations and medications, including Yellow Fever and anti-malarials
- Passport signature
- Holiday cancellation forms
- Fit to travel
- Shotgun licence forms
- Copying patient notes
- Power of Attorney and Mental Capacity
- HIV tests for insurance
Out of Hours Care
Out of hours care is provided by East Anglian Ambulance Trust.
The practice is able to access the INTRAN translation service for patients who require it. INTRAN is predominately a telephone translation service, however, a translator may be sent to the practice if required. This service is funded by South Norfolk Clinical Commissioning Group.
Practice Booklet, Website and Newsletter
The practice has a booklet which is given to all newly registered patients but is also available on request. It contains information for patients about the practice and the services offered.
The practice has a website which has information for patients. Patients are able to book GP appointments and request repeat prescriptions on this website, provided they have a unique log in and password. The log in will be issued to patients upon verification of photo identification.
The practice prints a quarterly newsletter in conjunction with the Patient Participation Group.
Patient Participation Group
The practice has an established Patient Participation Group (PPG) which meets every second month. The PPG organises the Patient Survey each year and works with the practice to implement and action reasonable changes.
Friends of Diss Health Centre
The Friends of Diss Health Centre is a registered charity which can receive donations from patients for use in the provision of equipment that is beneficial to patient care.